Feb 20, 2008

Bulgur Upma

Bulgur or Daliya is a cereal made from several different wheat species..It is more nutritious than rice..It serves as a quick breakfast..The preparation is almost similar to the Rava Upma but it tastes a little different..



Ingredients

Bulgur - 1 cup
Onion - 1/2 finely diced
Carrot - 1
Green peas - 1/4 cup
Corn (optional) - 1/4 cup
Cashews
Ginger - 1/2 inch finely chopped
Butter or ghee - 2 tbspns
Mustard and Urad dhall for tempering
Salt to taste

Directions

Melt the butter in a saucepan and roast the cashews..Then splutter the mustard seeds and urad dhall.Then add the onions and ginger and saute them..Once they become translucent add the vegetables and salt..You can add any veggies you like..Once they get half cooked,add two cups water and bring to a boil..Then add the bulgur and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the water evaporates..garnish with cilantro..
Serve with pickles or chutney of your choice..

this goes off to Weekend Herb Blogging hosted this week by Kochtopf...
and also to Suganya s Weekend Breakfast Blogging(WBB) - Healthy Eats

9 comments:

  1. YUMMY! My mom makes it with crushed wheat in India. Bulgur is similar but grainier than that. Looks great!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by n commenting Asha..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a sweet "breakfaster" but perhaps I should change. Your bulgur sounds delicious.

    Thank you for your participation in WHB. Roundup should be online next Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yummy, hope I could try it. I haven's had bulgur before.

    Gay

    ReplyDelete
  5. Using bulgur is a great idea! I'm a huge fan of incorporating high fiber foods anywhere possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there,
    This sounds like a great recipe. Bulgar was something my mother always used to use.

    I hope it isn't embarassing for you for me to mention this here, but it's against the rules for Weekend Herb Blogging to enter a WHB post into another event as well. It may be too late to change it now, but I wanted to mention it so you know and don't do it again in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Hi..
Thanks for dropping by my blog and rendering your valuable comments..Hope you had a nice time reading my recipes..Thanks for your encouragement..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...